Are you allowed to work in Spain? Work Permits explained.

EU and Swiss Nationals do not need a work permit to gain employment in Spain, and on a tourist visa you may stay in the country for up to 3 months. If however you wish to stay longer you will need to apply in person for a Residence Certificate at the Oficina de Extranjeros in the province in which you are residing. You will then be issued a Residence Certificate. When applying for a Residence Certificate you also have to provide proof of a means of supporting yourself and may be required to show that you have healthcare insurance.

Non-EU citizens will need a visa and a work permit to work in Spain. Most employers will guide you through the process and it is often required that the immigration office in Spain issues a notice granting you and your employer permission to apply for a work permit in order for you to get a work visa back in your own country.

To apply for a work permit you need the following:

Valid Passport
3 Passport Photos
Copy of Employment Contract stamped by the Foreigners Office
Criminal Record Certificate issued by your National Police Authority stating that you have no convictions for the past 5 years
Certificate of Health stating that you are not suffering from any contagious diseases that may be a risk to public health

To get a job as a non-EU National requires that the Spanish Employment Institute agrees that the job cannot be filled by either a Spanish National or an EU or Swiss citizen.

Once you have a work permit, you can then use this to apply for a visa, the application costs €60 (Jan 2014). If you are successful and the visa is for more than 6 months you need to apply for a foreign identity card within 1 month of entering Spain. Your employer must also register you with the Social Security System within 3 months. You can renew work permits and visa providing your employment continues.

Once in Spain you can apply for a working visa the application needs to be submitted to the Subdelegación del Gobierno in the city in which you will be living.

For more information about work permits and working visas please visit the Employment and Social Security website of Spain -
The CV Doctor